Thursday, January 2, 2014

What is J.K. Rowling doing now?

This complex novel opens when Cormoran Strike hires a temporary secretary for his PI business.

Shortly thereafter Robin Ellacott begins work, a distraught man comes to the office and wants to hire Strike to look into the man's sister's suicide.

Robin finds that she loves being a PI's secretary if she can't be the one solving the crimes herself. The customer is John Bristow who knew Strike from boyhood when Strike was a friend of John's brother who died in an accident.

We follow Strike as he takes the case with reluctance and then begins questioning possible witnesses. We also learn that Strike was a former soldier who lost part of his leg in Afghanistan.

The second part of the book moves faster as Strike meets and overcomes obstacles to his investigation. During this time he meets a number of interesting characters who work with models and entertainers.

As the story moves toward its conclusion, Strike realizes how important Robin is to his work and he is able to get answers to what really happened to the man's sister.

The novel was written by J.K.Rowling writing under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith and she does a good job in keeping the reader guessing about the outcome.


8 comments:

Man of la Book said...

Great review Mike. I heard other good things about this book.
http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Kelly said...

Would you believe I've never read any of her work?! I need to at some point.

Unknown said...

Thanks ManofLabook and Kelly,
I've said this before but I really enjoy hearing from friends and reading their comments.
I think you both would enjoy this mystery novel.

Unknown said...

Zohar,
Just came from your blog and enjoyed it.
Have you looked into the website Shelfari.com? I do a lot there and like the site very much. It's also a good area to stay in touch with friends.

DMS said...

I love the Harry Potter series, so I am definitely curious about JK Rowling's writing for adults. This sounds like a good book. I will have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Unknown said...

Thanks for the note DMS hope you do check the book out and enjoy it.
Sincerely,
Mike

Alexia561 said...

I think I still prefer her YA books, but at least she's not resting on her laurels! Thanks for the review Mike! Hope you're doing well!

Unknown said...

Hi Alexia, thanks for stopping by. You're right about her YA books but it's nice she expanded her writing circle.
Mike
PS I'm doing OK and dealing with the side effects of the chemo meds.

Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Broken Promise