Sunday, February 10, 2013

A look at a 1950's time in history in Hollywood.

Before this review, just a health update. Supposed to have my next chemo treatment this coming Tuesday but worry about being able to get to the hospital. Currently about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow in the driveway and the town began clearing the roads and dumped about another 2 feet of snow at the end of my driveway.
We have a person who plows but he can't get into the driveway due to the excess from the town and they aren't answering the phone.
More later....

-------------------------------------

My review:

"Die a Little" brings back the 1950's and  mystery solving that is reminiscent of Raymond Chandler.

Lora King, a school teacher, has always been very close to her brother, Bill, a young attorney in the DA's office.

Bill meets a mystery woman named Alice and soon, they marry. As Lora gets to know Alice, things about what Alice says about her past don't add up causing Lora to wonder what Bill has gotten into.

Then Alice introduces Lora to a good time woman named Lois and the three woman begin to socialize. Lora seems fascinated and yet continues to be protective of Bill.

The setting is Hollywood and is well done as movie studios are described and we meet people from the movie sets. We also learn of their lives and the things they get away with.

The reader will enjoy Lora and her mystery solving activity as she looks into the lives of Alice and Lois.

The story captured my attention from the start and I recommend it as a good subject of the noir novel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mike! I'm so sorry to read that you're dealing with cancer and chemo. I had cancer many years ago and understand how even the mention of that word does a number of our brains. I believe that having a positive attitude can do wonders. When I was diagnosed, I began doing daily healing meditations ... I had tapes by Bernie Siegel (http://berniesiegelmd.com/). All I know is that my surgery was successful and my doctor said that I healed better than he ever imagined possible. And the best part, I've been cancer-free ever since. I don't think it was a coincidence. So stay positive and think good thoughts ... they have power. Sending you positive, healing energy ... and wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!

Unknown said...

Hi Small Footprints,
Thanks for you kind note and the idea of Bernie Siegel's tapes.

Sincerely,

Mike

Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Broken Promise