Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Thriller in New Haven

I'm struggling with this review much like I struggled with the novel.

I wanted to like this book even more since it takes place in New Haven, CT at Yale University. I live a few miles from the University and have many friends and acquaintances that are employed there.

The concept for the story is captivating. Someone takes over a building where one of the Yale secret societies is housed. Numerous Yale students are held hostage as the hostage taker proves that they mean business and then make their demands known.

We follow the story from multiple points of view. With over thirty characters, I found myself getting confused. Some parts of the plot grabbed my attention but others seemed like fillers. I wondered why these parts were added to the story and what was their purpose.

Sam Purdy, a suspended Boulder cop, was a character I enjoyed but I wasn't sure about FBI agent Christopher Perry or how he got the authorization to be a part of the investigatory team.

Stephen White is an acclaimed author and I look forward to reading more of his novels.

3 comments:

Carol N Wong said...

That is too bad. Hate it when there are so many characters that you have to list them and keep notes to keep straight. I have had to do that in the past and I had really think it is better with fewer.

skkorman said...

I love White's books!

Kelly said...

Always a shame when one disappoints like this.

Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Broken Promise