Sunday, January 3, 2010

"If you love someone, put their name in a circle instead of a heart because hearts can break, but circles go on forever." Source Unknown


When a review copy of "The Edge of Forever" was sent to me and I saw that it was about an event which might be the end of life as we know it, I was skeptical.

As I began reading and I was struck with the cliches "baring her soul" "spit it out," "spilled her guts to me," I felt that what I was reading was an amateurish attempt at writing a suspense novel. However, when I put that aside and concentrated on the story, I was greatly entertained. After all, that is a central purpose of writing.

For the plot, Michael Hansen helps a woman who has dropped her purse. Then, a few months later, he visits a restaurant and she is the waitress. He learns that the woman, Cassie Mc Murphy, is being abused by her husband. With concern for her safety, he follows her home and an earth tremor causes an accident. Carrie completes the ride home in her damaged car and when she arrives, her husband sees the damage to the car and begins beating her. Michael intervenes and he and Carrie leave the husband, sheriff Kyle McMurphy.

In San Diego, Spencer Montgomery informs his friend, Frank Donner, at the Black Diamond facility, that the earth's moving the way it has, might be the prelude to shomething that could be worse than the Great Dying of 251 million years ago.

With numerous earthquakes, a catastrophe is imminent.

Michael Hansen and his family must find a way to meet and find a place where they can be saved from the looming destruction.

Definitely an enjoyable read. Michael Hansen is a Rambo type character, seemingly indestructible, but tender with Carrie and all the things that a big brother should be.

Jeff Chimenti has written a sequel and that should also be an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Currently Reading

Currently Reading
Broken Promise